Key Facts from state and local public health departments are:
- Face masks are recommended in all indoor and outdoor public areas where social distancing is not possible. Refer to the COVID-19 Transmission Index for specific instructions in each county.
- Film industry does not fall under gathering size restrictions, but social distancing must be observed at all practical times.
- There are no COVID-19 travel restrictions in the state of Utah. Visitors to Utah or those returning home to Utah after traveling are not required to quarantine upon arrival.
- Individuals who have symptoms of COVID-19 are able to get tested in Utah. There are several local companies which offer rapid COVID-19 testing for film productions. You can contact our office for more information.
Please refer to the COVID-19 Business Manual that any production must implement to manage the risk of COVID-19 transmission.
We recommend that all film productions follow the directives of the Return To Work Agreement dated July 19, 2021, issued by SAG-AFTRA, DGA, IATSE and Teamsters/Basic Crafts with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. On May 6, 2022, the Return to Work agreement was extended through July 15, 2022 to create a more flexible set of protocols for areas of the United States and Canada with low COVID hospital admissions, while maintaining core elements to keep sets safe. Learn more.
Please note, individual productions may need to adapt the guidelines to specific circumstances, but the overall intent of these guidelines should be applied in all cases.
Here are some organizations that have developed best practices to consider as you begin production.
- AICP COVID-19 Workplace Guidelines and Considerations
- Directors Guild of America: COVID-19 Resources and Updates
- AMPTP Industry-Wide Labor-Management Safety Committee Task Force: White Paper
- National Set Medics: COVID-19 Guidelines for TV and Film Productions
- OSHA Protecting Workers: Guidance on Mitigating and Preventing the Spread of COVID-19 in the Workplace
- SAG-AFTRA: COVID-19 Safety Tips
- The Safe Way Forward: A Joint Report of the DGA, SAG-AFTRA, IATSE and Teamsters’ Committees for COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
- The State of Utah COVID-19 Business Manual
- Production Equipment Rental Group Safe Return to Work Guidelines