It Pays to Film in Utah
Along with our incredible locations, professional crew and services, our Motion Picture Incentive Program offers a 20-25 tax credit on production dollars spent in Utah. Click here for information on the cash rebate film incentive.
- The incentive is a post-performance program
- Productions with a Utah spend of at least $500,000 are eligible for a 20% tax credit
- Productions with a Utah spend of at least $1,000,000 may be eligible for a 25% tax credit
- There is no per-project cap
- $6.79 million per year is allocated to the MPIP fund
- All tax credits are fully refundable, non-transferrable
- Call our office and talk to one of our Producer Services Executives. That way we know you’re coming, and can answer any questions you may have.
- Fill out an MPIP Application and submit your script/treatment prior to beginning principal photography.
- The UFC will review your application. If you’re approved we pass it on to the Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) Board of Directors, who meet once a month. You can review application and board approval dates on this page.
- If GOED approves, your project’s funds become encumbered. Rest easy, your incentive isn’t going anywhere.
- Now you can start production in Utah. During production, your accountant should be tracking Utah spending. Once you’re finished, turn in a CPA-verified Utah expenditure report.
- After the report is verified, a tax credit certificate is awarded. When you file your Utah taxes, you can claim the credit, which is issued in the form of a check to your production company.
Projects that will spend $500,000 and above in the State of Utah may qualify for a 20% – 25% post-performance tax credit. Please review the important dates down below. For more information, please review the MPIP FAQ.
MPIP Application Deadlines
- January 27, 2017
- February 24, 2017
- March 24, 2017
- April 28, 2017
- May 26, 2017
GOED Board Meetings
The Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development Board approves all film incentives. Below is the Board meeting schedule.
- February 9, 2017
- March 9, 2017
- April 13, 2017
- May 11, 2017
- June 8, 2017
Please download the MPIP Application and fill out all the necessary information. Hand written applications won’t be accepted. Please be prepared to attach all the necessary documents which include:
- Line item budget
- Total budget
- Utah spend (qualified dollars left in the state)
- Proof of financing documentation, one of the following is needed:
- Completion bond
- SAG bond
- Payroll statement
- Bank statement
- In‐studio financing letter or agreement
- Attachment l ‐ GRAMA (optional): this application and other records related to this application may be subject to public disclosure under Utah’s Government Access and Management Act (GRAMA). To request information be protected, please submit the ATTACHMENT l GRAMA form that comes with the MPIP Application. More information on GRAMA can be found on the Utah Attorney General website.