It Pays to Film in Utah
Along with our incredible locations, professional crew and services, our Motion Picture Incentive Program offers a post- performance tax credit of 20% – 25% on qualified production dollars spent in Utah. If your looking for more information on the cash rebate film incentive, please click here.
- The incentive is a post-performance program
- Productions with a Utah spend of at least $500,000 are eligible for a 20% tax credit
- Productions with a Utah spend of at least $1,000,000 may be eligible for a 25% tax credit
- There is no per-project cap
- $6.79 million per year is allocated to the MPIP fund
- All tax credits are fully refundable, non-transferrable
- Call our office and talk to one of our Producer Services Executives. That way we know you’re coming, and can answer any questions you may have.
- Fill out an MPIP Application and submit your script/treatment prior to beginning principal photography.
- The UFC will review your application. If you’re approved we pass it on to the Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) Board of Directors, who meet once a month. You can review application and board approval dates on this page.
- If GOED approves, your project’s funds become encumbered. Rest easy, your incentive isn’t going anywhere.
- Now you can start production in Utah. During production, your accountant should be tracking Utah spending. Once you’re finished, turn in a CPA-verified Utah expenditure report.
- After the report is verified, a tax credit certificate is awarded. When you file your Utah taxes, you can claim the credit, which is issued in the form of a check to your production company.
Projects that have a qualified spend in Utah of $500,000 and above may apply for a 20% post-performance tax credit. Projects that have a qualified spend in Utah of over $1 million may apply for a 25% post-performance tax credit. Please review the FAQ for more detailed information as well as the important dates given below.
MPIP Application Deadlines
Fiscal Year 2017
- May 26, 2017
Fiscal Year 2018
- June 30, 2017
- July 28, 2017
- August 31, 2017
- September 29, 2017
- October 27, 2017
- November 30, 2017
- December 29, 2017
GOED Board Meetings
The Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development Board approves all film incentives. Below is the Board meeting schedule.
Fiscal Year 2017
- June 8, 2017
Fiscal Year 2018
- July 13, 2017
- August 10, 2017
- September 14, 2017
- October 12, 2017
- November 9, 2017
- December 14, 2017
- January 11, 2018
Please download the MPIP Application and fill out all the necessary information. Hand written applications won’t be accepted. Please be prepared to attach all the necessary documents which include:
- Line item budget
- Total budget
- Utah spend (qualified dollars left in the state)
- Proof of financing documentation, one of the following is needed:
- Completion bond
- SAG bond
- Payroll statement
- Bank statement
- In‐studio financing letter or agreement
- This application and other records related to this application may be subject to public disclosure under Utah’s Government Access and Management Act (GRAMA). To request information be protected, please submit the ATTACHMENT l REQUEST FOR PROTECTED RECORD STATUS form that comes with the MPIP Application. More information on GRAMA can be found on the Utah Attorney General website.